Thursday, January 22, 2009

Have You Ever Thought???

Have you ever thought about the terminology people use? I have a couple pet peeves about word usage, so the few people that view this blog get to hear about them.

1. "Where or Who delivered your child?" I birthed my babies. Pizza's are delivered, babies are birthed. I don't care what kind of birth it is; it's still a birth.

2. (Referring to our adoption)... If I hear one more person say, "How do you think the "real" parents feel", or "I'll treat the child as if you are the "real" parents"... or anything about the "real" parents. I just might scream. We are very real. The terminology used is poor. I completely understand what they mean... They mean biological. But how would my child feel if everyone referred to Brian and I as "real" parents to our biological kids, but not "real" to our other children. We are not going to hide the fact that they were adopted, how can we.... We're adopting from S. Korea! We will talk to our child about their past, and their "Birth Parents" or "Biological Parents". That stuff is important. We'll talk about their culture, and hopefully have family vacations to the birth country.

Wow, I know there are a few more, but I can't think of them right now. I've gotta get the younglings off to naps... Maybe I'll right more about this later. There are OH so many more adoption terms to clear up...

1 comment:

Trudi said...

Thanks so much for the updates Angie! I love seeing your family grow. Congrats on your decision to adopt. How very wonderful of you to give your time, effort and heart to another child! I will be checking your progress and look forward to witnessing the journey!